Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards, as per the Policy on Communications and Federal Identity.
COSEWIC assessment and update status report on the Atlantic Cod in Canada
- Assessment Summary
- Executive Summary
- Species Information
- Population Sizes and Trends
- Newfoundland & Labrador Population
- Limiting Factors and Threats
- Special Significance of the Species
- Existing Protection or Other Status
- Summary of Status Report
- Technical Summary: Arctic Population
- Technical Summary: Newfoundland & Labrador Population
- Technical Summary: Laurentian North Population
- Technical Summary: Maritimes Population
- Literature Cited
- Biographical Summary of Contractor
- Authorities Consulted
- Appendix 1: Northern Labrador
- Appendix 1: St. Pierre Bank
- Appendix 1: Cabot Strait
The author would like to thank officials and scientists within the Department of Fisheries and Oceans for communicating data to me and for discussing various aspects of this Status Report during its preparation. Comments and discussion with Richard Haedrich, Co-Chair of COSEWIC’s Marine Fishes Specialist Subcommitee (SSC), and with other members of the Marine Fish SSC (notably DFO research scientists Doug Swain, Blair Holtby, and Chris Wood) were also greatly appreciated. The final report also benefited from comments made during the review process by other DFO scientists, notably Martin Castonguay, Ghislain Chouinard, Jean-Denis Dutil, Paul Fanning, Alain Fréchet, Henry Lear, George Lilly, Howard Powles, Jake Rice, Peter Shelton, and Doug Swain. I am also indebted to David Hardie, Ian McLaren, and Margaret Treble (DFO, Winnipeg) for the information they were able to provide on the landlocked populations of cod on Baffin Island.
Funding provided by the Canadian Wildlife Service, Environment Canada.
- Date Modified: