Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards, as per the Policy on Communications and Federal Identity.
COSEWIC Annual Report - 2005
- COSEWIC Activities
- COSEWIC Membership and Chair Election
- Operations And Procedures, Species Status Assignments and Wildife Species Assessed By COSEWIC Since Its Inception
- Appendix 1: Summary
- Appendix 1: List of member
- Appendix 1: Abstracts from presentations
- Appendix II: Press Releases
- Appendix III: Tables
- Appendix IV: Biosketches
- Appendix V : Guidelines for Recognizing Designatable Units Below the Species Level
- Appendix VI : COSEWIC Assessment Process, Categories and Guidelines
- Appendix VII: Applications for Species Assessment and Unsolicited Species Status Reports
- Appendix VIII: COSEWIC Status Assessments
- Appendix VIIII: Request for Species Assessment
Item II - Preparation For The Election Of Chair Of COSEWIC
Following procedures set out in its Operations and Procedures Manual, a nomination Committee was struck in May 2005 in preparation for the election of a new Chair in May 2006, at which time Marco Festa-Bianchet will finish his second term as Chair of COSEWIC. René Belland (current co-chair, COSEWIC Vascular Plants and Lichens Specialist Subcommitte) will chair the Selection Committee.
Item III - COSEWIC Membership
See Appendix IlI for a list of current and proposed members.
a) Members from jurisdictions (Provincial/Territorial/Federal)
At the Spring 2005 meeting of COSEWIC, the chair reminded again members from jurisdictions that CESCC members have to notify the Chair of COSEWIC by the end of June 2005 of the name of any new member or alternate to be submitted to the Minister of the Environment for appointment after consulting with the CESCC.
A curriculum vitae for each nominee must be on record with the COSEWIC Secretariat.
Since July 2004, one jurisdiction, British Columbia, has submitted a new name for an alternate member on COSEWIC: Susan Pollard (M.Sc.)
b) Co-chairs of Species Specialist Subcommittees
New /Renewed members were selected as a result of a process started with a January 2005 public call for members. For Marine Fishes, both co-chair positions were advertised since one co-chair resigned in December 2004 and the other co-chair’s term expires December 31, 2005. Justifications and biosketches are herein provided for the following nominees submitted for consideration and review by CESCC and subsequent appointment by the Minister of the Environment effective January 1, 2006:
Co-chair, Plants & Lichens Specialist Subcommittee –Dr. Erich Haber
Co-chair, Freshwater Fishes Specialist Subcommittee – Dr. Robert Campbell
Co-chair, Terrestrial Mammals Specialist Subcommittee – Dr. Mark Brigham
Co-chair, Marine Fishes Specialist Subcommittee – Dr. Howard Powle s
Co-chair, Marine Fishes Specialist Subcommittee- Dr. Paul Bentzen *
* - All memberships are for a four year term with the exception of Dr. Bentzen who was recommended for two years to finish the term of the Marine Fishes co-chair who resigned, and to ensure that in future, both co-chairs’ positions are not vacated at the same time.
See Appendix IV (Biosketches of new/renewed COSEWIC members).
- Date Modified: