Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards, as per the Policy on Communications and Federal Identity.
COSEWIC Annual Report - 2006
- Item I - COSEWIC Activities
- Item II – Election of Chair of COSEWIC
- Item III - COSEWIC Membership
- Item IV - COSEWIC Operations and Procedures
- Item V – Species Status Assignments
- Item VI - Wildlife Species Assessed by COSEWIC Since its Inception
- Appendix I
- Appendix II - Species Selected for Status Report Preparation to be included in the Next Call for Bids Fall 2006
- Appendix III
- Appendix IV - Biosketches
- Appendix V - Approach to Streamlining Reassessments
- Appendix VI - Guidelines for recognizing Designatable Units Below the Species Level
- Appendix VII - Detailed COSEWIC Species Assessments, April 2006
- Appendix VIII - August 2006 Canadian Species at Risk Publication Cover
Item II – Election of Chair of COSEWIC
Following procedures set out in the COSEWIC Operations and Procedures Manual, a nomination Committee was struck in May, 2005, in preparation for the election of a new Chair of COSEWIC, as Dr. Marco Festa-Bianchet's second term as Chair of COSEWIC was scheduled to conclude at the end of the April, 2006, Species Assessment Meeting. Dr. René Belland, co-chair of the COSEWIC Plants and Lichens Specialist Subcommitte, chaired the Selection Committee. A number of nominations were received but subsequently all nominees withdrew with the exception of one nominee, Dr. Jeffrey Hutchings, non-government science member, from Dalhousie University.
At the Species Assessment Meeting in April, 2006, Dr. René Belland presented Dr. Hutchings as the candidate for the position of Chair of COSEWIC and Dr. Hutchings then spoke to the members about how his knowledge, experience and commitment to the work of COSEWIC would contribute to his ability to chair the committee. The members voted and, following the election, Dr. Hutchings was proclaimed Chair of COSEWIC for a two-year term of office to take effect May 1, 2006.
The members congratulated Dr. Hutchings on his election as Chair and highly praised Dr. Marco Festa-Bianchet for his outstanding contribution to COSEWIC as Chair of the committee over the past four years.
- Date Modified: